Sponsored by UK Meds (ukmeds.co.uk)
To find out more, contact the Club Secretary Andrew on 07557 648 871
or e-mail email@example.com
A Potted History
Part One 1924 – 1935
The club was formed in 1924 It was originally called Ruddington (Paget) Bowls Club as the land had been donated by the Paget family. There are no records for the first three years but in 1927. There were 28 members. The system in operation then was to divide the membership into four rinks and each skip presumably chose any four from seven to play in matches.
There is no record of the fees charged at that time but the club was 3s.6d in the red at the 1928 AGM. The President that year was Mr W Marshall. The groundsman was paid £1.1s.0d per week.
They had three whist drives to raise some cash charging 1s.6d entry and 1s.0d for dancing only. The committee meetings were held at the Bricklayers Arms.
The fixture list for 1929 season consisted of matches with Bingham. Wollaton Lodge, Carlton Hill, Victoria Embankment, Cotgrave, Hawleys,Willoughby, Holwell, Home Brewery, Lenton Unionist, City Police, Gresham, West Bridgford Hall, C.W.Smarts and Nottm Co-op. 13 games in all. One of the members a Mr Squires agreed to “convey” the players to away matches.
In 1933 there was a disagreement with the landlord of the Bricklayers Arms over the double booking of artistes for the Annual Dinner Dance, he resigned from the club and the meetings were moved to the Red Lion.
In 1934 the Club moved to the present green in Elms Park and it was decided to plant a privet hedge on three sides of the green. The cost was to be entirely from club funds so a prize draw was organised to help fund it. By the end of the 1934 season the club had made a profit of £22.6s.4d, helped mainly by the Christmas prize draw.
The hedge was planted in 1935 by the members as they wanted the project to be independent of the Parish Council. Several new members joined making it necessary for the club to buy four pairs of woods (size 4).
Part Two 1936 – 1945
The Birkin cup for which we still compete, was first donated to the club by Sir Stanley Birkin in 1931.
The first time the club entered the competition for the Portland Bowl was 1936 There is no record in the minutes as to their success or otherwise in this event.
The Hunt Cup was donated to the club in 1936 and was to remain the property of the club. That year the Annual dinner was held at Church House and was open to Gentlemen only!!
In 1938 they played 39 games and won 23 of them. They decided to play monthly drives the following season and non-members would be welcome (Ladies??)
At the AGM in November 1939 mention was made of the “unfortunate circumstances” in which the meeting was being held (WW2) and that the club would endeavour to carry on as usual as far as was possible.
The club made a donation of one guinea to the newly formed “Comfort Fund” 1940/41 Numbers were falling and notices were displayed inviting new members.The green was causing concern because of the continuing labour shortages. After some discussion it was agreed that the Saturday matches would be limited to a fixed number of ends instead of points.
In the forties the Annual General Meetings were over in time to have a sing song and supper and presentation of the prizes!
1942, still desperate for members, local firms were approached to see if any of their staff were interested in becoming members or even joining in for an occasional game. The green was maintained by the members during the war.
1944 members complained about the condition of the green and a letter was sent to the Playing Fields Committee of the Parish Council. – no action was taken. The club donated five guineas to the Assn War Effort. At the AGM in this year, after long discussion and amendment, an addition to rule No 5 was passed whereby honorary non-playing members could be accepted at the discretion of the committee. Two of the oldest members who were retiring from the game were accepted under the new rule.
1945 The Council raised the rent making it necessary to increase the annual subs from 12s.6d to 14s. The clubs HQ was moved to the Conservative Club.
Part Three 1946 – 1951
In 1946 the first season since the end of the war the number of members was the lowest for many years – 23 – Committee members promised to induce friends to join. 15 members attended the A.G.M. this year and the introduction of a selection committee of three was deemed to have been successful. In this year the club received a letter from the Clerk of the Council in which the Playing Fields Committee hoped for an increase in the membership otherwise the membership fees would have to be increased for season 1948. They replied stating that the state of the green did not offer newcomers any inducement to join. They stressed the need for a sufficient portion of it to be available and fit for play at all reasonable times!!
Things must have been bad in 1947 as there was only one committee meeting held that year. Same number of members as last year so the recruitment drive obviously didn’t go very well. Prospective new members were invited to the A.G.M. and notices to that effect were posted in the village. There had been no more mention of the rise in fees. Despite the low numbers they decided to enter for the Portland Bowl again. Also that year a new committee member was appointed, one Howard Cox.
The dreaded letter arrived from the Council concerning the cost of season tickets for 1948. They proposed a scale as follows:-
Up to 20 members 20s each, 21-30 15s, 31-40 12s 6d.
It was finally agreed to charge the members 17 shillings.
In 1948 the club were asked to vote on a recommendation for a new Association H.Q. They opted to support options D or A ( I guess we’ll never know what these suggestions were!)
The financial state of the club was unchanged with £21.7s 8d in the kitty.The green was still giving cause for concern and the club asked the Council to receive a deputation from the club.
In April 1949 the Council deferred the opening till June and all May’s home games had to be rearranged.
At the 1950 A.G.M. Mr H Wright announced that he would not be seeking reselection having been President since 1931. His place was taken by a Mr Goode and Howard Cox became Secretary. A whip round for the groundsmen realised £1.10s. The entry fee for the Portland Bowl was 12s and was paid for by those taking part. The Cricket Club was approached with a view to refurbishing the stock of crockery so presumably we shared this with them.
Still trying to recruit new members with a bowls drive and posters in the village. The high cost of paper resulted in ‘stick on’ fixture lists to be used in the old covers. The matter of instituting official Club Colours was first addressed in Sept 1950. By the end of that season the membership was up to 31. It was decided to adopt maroon and gold as the club colours. A sub committee was set up to deal with competitions.
In 1951 the state of the pavilion was giving rise to some concern and the Parks Committee was approached. Mr Cox proposed that one week be laid down for each club competition. They agreed to try it for the Birkin Cup and that was so successful that they decided to use the same format for both The Birkin and Hunt trophies. Also in 1951 there was one new member of note:- Frank Burchell, who is our longest serving member.
Part Four 1953 – 1963
The captain’s life is made easier by the comittee now selecting the teams. The club ticked along for the next four years and the minutes of committee and Annual meetings showed nothing of note to report. Though the membership dropped from 31 in 1951 to 27 in 1955.
In the season 1955 the wives of the members took over making the teas for home matches. Howard Cox became President in 1957 and the selection of a President Elect was discontinued as it was more advantageous to be able to re-elect the President for further terms of office. Instead they had a Vice President.
The AGM in November 1958 was attended by 12 people out of a membership of 22. It was agreed that the competitions be organised by two committee members Mr Faulconbridge and Mr. Bedford.
1960, in view of the fact that a borrowed teapot had been returned to it’s owner, it was voted that a new one be purchased (high finance or what?). They also decided to put an advert in that Global Newspaper the BUNNY OBSERVER in an attempt to get some more members. In June 1960 a special meeting was called to discuss the receipt of a letter from a member complaining of not being picked to play often enough. After long discussion it was agreed the captains had given him a fair chance to play but he had declined to do so. (What’s new?)
A.G.M. 1960 – An historic occasion! It was suggested that ladies be allowed to join the club, and after some discussion it was agreed but with the proviso that they be separate from the men and a charge of 7s-6d be levied. The men paid £1 -2s -6d.
A.G.M 1961 – The first time in the club’s history that ladies attended a meeting!!! Also at this meeting Howard Cox retired as President, his place being taken by Doug Waterhouse. However, Howard remained on the committee. Mr Roberts remained as secretary for which we are grateful as his minutes are very neat and easy to read!
Fixtures Secretary reported that the fixtures were coming in well but that he proposed that we do not seek a fixture with Carlton British Legion as they had let them down again last season. This was agreed.
In 1962 it was suggested that the tea ladies (Mrs Roberts & Mrs Wright) be made honorary members of the club for as long as they continued to do the teas. They also decided that it would be in the interest of the club to ask a leading figure from the village to be President and Doctor Harvey was approached. He readily accepted.
Owing to a big increase in the EBA League, it became difficult to arrange friendly fixtures. The club had to face up to the fact that they would have to adopt the EBA style of play. Doctor Harvey was asked to approach his wife with a view to forming a ladies team. There is no reference to this happening. There was a new rule introduced this year that the jack must be centred, thereby making it necessary to acquire some centre pegs. The rent for the green that year was £20 with a reminder that the club was under an obligation to provide facilities for pensioners.
Twenty members attended the A.G.M for 1963. One of the things agreed on was that to make things easier for the captains, the selection of teams be taken over by the committee!
Part Five 1964 – 1966
The Bowling Association announced the introduction of two Federation Leagues one on Saturdays and the other a midweek one. The club joined the midweek league for ‘64 season.
A suggestion was put forward by Mr Bedford and seconded by Mr Waterhouse that one night a week be set aside as “Club Night”. The purpose of this was for practice and in particular for the playing of competition rounds. The competition organisers were appealing for all members to play their rounds as quickly as possible in order to get them all played. All present were in favour and Monday night was decided upon. This has dropped by the wayside of late because of the number of fixtures we have now and also the Ladies Trophy matches have to be played on a Monday. However they only take up three rinks four times a season so there is no reason to stop us continuing or reviving this tradition- we played in ‘civvies” on these occasions by the way.
Sept 1964 plans were afoot to provide the club with a new pavilion. A request for a pavilion had been agreed by the Parish Council. Plans and estimated cost had been received from the building firm (not named) and the necessary forms had been obtained to apply for a grant from the Playing Fields Assn. In order to meet the costs of this project Mr Harry Bruce suggested that a Pavilion Loan Fund be launched and all members be asked to lend the club sums of money in units of 10 shillings to be payable to the Treasurer in the strictest confidence. Repayments would be made as soon as the funds would allow. Oldest (age) members being first to be reimbursed.
In April 1965 the pavilion project was still progressing steadily but a solicitor’s letter on behalf of the Parish Council in respect of the green was not clearly understood and Howard Cox offered to see the solicitors to get it clarified. A special meeting was held at the Playing Fields to discuss the answers to certain questions required by the Ministry of Education and Science before the grant for the pavilion could be allowed. Considerable thought and time had to be given to these questions but eventual agreement was reached under the capable leadership of Mr Cox.
Sept 1965 – Min of Education & Science wanted further details of cost of materials used by voluntary labour.
This was worked out as follows: Paint, Size and Fillings – £21.2s.3d. Timber – £1.16s.0d. Guttering – £9.0s.0d. Chicken Wire – £2.0s.6d. Fencing – £7.1s.0d. Total cost – £40.19s 9d.
A letter of thanks was sent to Mr F Oliver and Mr J Bargh for help with erecting the pavilion. Mr Wright said he could get some cheap tables which “after some modification” would be suitable for the pavilion. Mr Spencer agreed to become caretaker of the new pavilion.
It was officially opened at the beginning of the 1966 season by Mr R.C.M.Dickson and he was presented with a tankard to mark the occasion. The need for a new pavilion had first been noted in 1951 the present one opened in 1966. Only 15 years later!! The new pavilion inspired the members to make a definite decision on a club uniform. This was to be Black blazer, Grey flannels, blazer badge and club tie in maroon with gold motif. Harry Bruce agreed to undertake the task of finding suppliers of badges and ties. The treasurer reported that we were in a financial position to start repayments of the loans. There is no further reference as to the award or not of a grant.
In May 1966 a meeting of members who were available on the green was held to decide on suitable competitions to be played for the new trophies which had been presented this year.
R.C.M.DICKSON TROPHY – This was to be a pairs competition played over 21 ends agreed by all present.
ROBERT SMITH MEMORIAL TROPHY Following a suggestion by a Mr Smith it was decided that this be called a match play competition with rules as follows:-1. Saturday League, Mid week league and all friendly matches to count. 2. Every player on a winning rink to receive the number of points by which he has beaten his opposition. 3.To be eligible, a minimum of 15 games must be played. 4. The ultimate winner will be decided on average points against the number of matches played at the end of the season. Did you get all that? Sounds like the forerunner of our Monday drive! I wonder who kept the scores etc without the help of a computer???
In June 1966 the club bought an urn for the kitchen at a cost of £6.6s.9d At the same meeting the question was raised about children being allowed to play on the green during school holidays. It was felt that they could cause some damage if allowed to play unsupervised.
In July 1966 an Extraordinary meeting was called to elect new officers in the light of the resignation of the Captain and Vice Captain of the leagues because of numerous complaints from players regarding selection. It was decided to revert to the old system of having separate captains and v/captains for Saturday and Mid week leagues. It was also proposed and carried that any complaints of this nature should be made in writing to the secretary for consideration by the committee.
The treasurer had received the bill for the electrical work on the pavilion £40.9s.6d whilst the club had the finances to cover this bill it was decided to levy a match fee of 1s for both home and away games.
At the AGM 1966 it was proposed that the membership fee be increased to £2, this was rejected and it stayed at £1.2s.6d.
Part Six 1967 – 1969
In 1967 the club had a grave problem to solve ie: the first round of the Portland Bowl was due to be played on Cup Final Day. They proposed to ask their opponents if they would make it an evening match.
1967 A.G.M. it was agreed that the highlight of the year had been the winning of the second division of the Saturday League. Mrs Cox was thanked for providing the floor covering for the pavilion. Several members felt that the present system for the Robert Smith Memorial Trophy was a little too complicated for all to understand (can’t think why – details were in the last edition) and after much debate it was agreed to change it to a pairs competition played in the EBA style four woods 31 up. It was also proposed that the club should have an honours board and a flag and flag pole.
1968 the pavilion acquired a ‘veranda’ and volunteers painted it. Once again they tried to raise the subs to £2 but were voted down and they stayed the same with the proviso that the committee could make an increase if they deemed it necessary.
AGM 1968 Members voted to cease entering the Portland Bowl. While discussing competitions they decided to put up a list for members to put their names down for the competitions they wished to participate in. That way no member would be expected to participate against his wishes. They tried to raise the subs to £2 again but it was rejected as the ground rent was staying the same. A Mr. Stevenson presented the club with a cheque for £36 explaining that he had been the treasurer of an organisation which had been disbanded and he had been asked to dispose of the money remaining to its credit. I’m sorry to relate that at the 1968 AGM Mr Roberts of the well kept and easy to read minutes retired as secretary and was replaced by Mr Butler.
In January 1969 the ground rent was raised by £5 and the committee agreed that the subs should be raised to £1.7s.6d to cover the extra outlay. However at a meeting in February it was rescinded. One momentous decision was made at this meeting, to create more interest in the club, a ladies section should be formed and a notice to that effect was posted in the pavilion.
There are no records from 1969 – 1983 Except the membership numbers which were as follows:
1969 – 35. 1970 – 37. 1971 – 41. 1972 – 40.1973 -39 (First lady joined) 1974 – 21. 1975 – 32. 1976 – 31. 1977 – 33 1978 -31.1979 -30.
1980 – 43. 1981 – 42. 1982 – 58. 1983 – 50.1984 -45.1985 -52.1986 – 55.
When the new pavilion was opened in 1966, the old changing room (shed) was still in use as equipment room and is in the photos of the opening day. This was dismantled and an extention to the new pavilion was added.
This must have happened some time after 1969 and before 1983 as I can find no reference to it happening in the existing minutes books
Part Eight 1983 – 1989
1983 50 Members
Not a lot to report apparently the only thing worth discussion was the fact that they were having trouble getting people to travel to Newark for away games.
This was the first year that the Pairs were played as a one day event.
1984 45 Members
A new groundsman was appointed as the previous one had retired.
A new kettle was needed for the kitchen and a whist drive was held to raise the funds to buy one.
There was a problem with ‘unauthorised’ people obtaining keys to the pavilion ie: not commmittee members!
A new competition for the ladies was introduced, the Horspool Trophy.
We won the Corson Shield.
1985 52 members
The groundsman suggested that trees be planted at the far end of the green to sheid the green. Nine trees were to be bought, no record of when they were put in, but I guess these were the trees which were removed in 1992 because they were causing the green to have a fungal growth on it!
The proposed bowls tour was dropped due to lack of interest.
We won the Corson Sheild again this year.
There was some concern about the rules of the West Bridgford League as though we came top we lost the trophy on shot difference. Captain Dick Marshall thought this was wrong and asked to see a copy of all the results this was not forthcoming and the sectetary was asked to write to the League.
At rhe AGM Mr George Warner suggested introducing rink fees of 20p to help boost club funds proposal was lost by one vote.
1986 We had 55 members the Ground rent was £135. MOnday club night was very well attended and there was some argument about leaving a rink free for competition bowling. One rink had to be left for the use of the “public” This too caused some descent as on the rare occasions that this happened they used the club’s equipment and there was no provision made by the Parish Council for collecting the money. If there were no club members there they had no access to mats etc. During the off season we managed to lose the toilet keys and had to beg the Council for another set.
This was an expensive year for repairs to the pavilion it had to be rewired at a cost of£70.
The roof needed recovering at a cost of £1314.We asked the Parish Council for help and they awarded us £250
Les Finch stood down as secretary and his place was taken by Bill Robinson.
Bill’s writing is much easier to decipher than that of Les!
Green fee up to £200. Parish Council gave us another £200 towards the roof
We had a day trip to Stratford on Avon this year.
A new tie was designed. The green closed early Sept 6th for remedial work to be carried out.
We won the EBA Men’s 3×4 League
1987 Ground rent up to £210. We had 70 members
The green is in a very bad state with clubs threatening toreport us to the EBA. Strong letter sent to P.C. Afternoon bowling was introduced to allow extra work on the green. We could start at 12o/c Opening of the season delayed till May 11th meaning all our fixtures till then were played away and it caused problems for members playing county comps as the first round had to be played before that date. A consultant green keeper was brought in.
Despite the problems with the green we managed to win the EBA Trips League division four which we had just joined, and FED Div one.
Acrimonious relations with the Parish because of the state of the green.
EBA accused some clubs of not playing games because they could not play their preferred players. This is not the spirit of the game and matches should be played with whoever is available (Nothing new there then)
The men won the 3×4 League again
1989 Ground Rent now £300 despite only having four playable rinks.
We played a friendly match at York which was to become a regular fixture for the next four years.
The concrete base in front of the pavilion was laid to replace the slabs. These were used to lay a path from the main path to the pavilion.
Ladies joined the EBA ladies section. A separate ladies secretary had to be appointed because the Ass, would not deal with a male secretary!!! Jose Lloyd was duly elected and remained in the post till 2012 when the mens and ladies ‘amalgamated” and it seemed to make sense for the general secretary to take it over.
We won the Glover Trophy. Won the 3×4 League for third time in succession
Part Eight 1990 – 2000
Directive from the Parish Council that the green must be cleared by nine in the evening to avoid having to pay the groundsman overtime to stay and lock up. Such luxury having a groundsman to lock up in the evening!
The men won the 4×3 league for the third year in succession. We joined the 4×4 league div Four and won that too. We also won the Glover and Steel comps this year. Runners up in the Corson
New lino laid in the pavilion.
1991 Ground rent doubled to £600
This was a very successful year for the club:
Portland Bowl winners
Steel Trophy winners
Glover Trophy winners for the third year running.
Corson Runners up
Indoor bowls Arena opened in West Bridgford to great excitement from Members. Ruddington B C had many teams playing in all the leagues from the beginning.
1992 Ground rent £650 and we had 80 members
We played friendly matches at Malvern and York.
letter to the Council complaining about the footballers using the trees at the back of the pavilion as goal posts. The constant thumping of the ball on the pavilion caused damage inside and out. They erected a wire fence along the back, which stopped the ball reaching the building.
There were 36 teams in the Mixed League that year – Halcyon days!
The watering system was installed at a cost of £4220 we had a grant of £3000 from the Foundation of Sport. The Council paid half the rest and the other half came from the Waite Charity which existed to assist tennis and bowls in the village.
Winners of the Sibson Cup. Runners up in the Corson
1993 Ground Rent £700
Letter of complaint was received from a member who had been down as sub and when he turned up to play someone else had been put in before him. This resulted in the rule being made to correct this bad practice.
Won the EBA Mixed League Div 2
1994 70th Anniversary Subs wer £25
We went on our first bowling tour to Ilfracombe orgainised by Frank Hill. 42 members stayed at the Granville Hotel (affectionately known as Colditz) and played three games of bowls. A good time was had by all.
For the celebrations they had a full day bowling and then a meal in St Peter’s Rooms with presentations being made by Mr RCM Dickson the club’s patron.
A rule was passed that no member could play in a league for two clubs. Also this year the committee was reduced from 21 to the present nunber 15.
1995 Green Rent £1000
We applied for lottery funding to provide new ditches round the green which was estimated to cost £13,246
Vandalism a problem with children playing football on the green and at one point dragging a bench across it. letter to the PC. This is probably when we started having to lock everything up including the gates and the benches.
The Birkin cup was made a men only competiton and a new one was acquired for the ladies to contest.
Committee decided to have captains and vice captains for the different leagues. Captains to be on committee Vice to attend in Captains absence.
1996 Groud Rent £1.100 Subs increased to £27
Council removed the trees at the cricket end of the green as they said they were causing fungus to grow on the green. We were sad to see them go and the fungus is still with us in 2014
15 members paid £100 each for a five year membership to raise funds for major projects. The posts holding the canopy up were rotting so the rotten wood was cut away and replace by metal ‘sleeves’. the work was carried out by members Derek Dent and Rob Slater, which saved a lot of labour costs. The ditches were replaced too.
28 members went on a five day bowling tour to Fuengerola orgainised by Frank Hill.
Dick Marshall and Horace Henshaw donated the bowls pushers to the club.
Monday Drive was started and proved very popular with upwards of 20 people playing each Monday afternoon The scores were kept each week and the best six scores of everyone were added together and the highest scorer won a trophy. The glass bowl which had been won at Fuengerola by one of our teams was used for the Monday drive. Frank Hill donated a cup to be played for on one day Random Triples. This has prove to be very popular. It was contested on President’s day at first but late given it’s own day, so that President’s could choose the format of their game.
Men won Div Three in the 4×4 League.
We had a club tour to Potters which was enjoyed by all. We also had a trip to Cromer organised by Dick Marshall.
Rink Fees were increased to £1.00
After many years of arguement and discussion about the acceptance of new members who live outside the immediate vacinity, it was agreed and the constitution changed to read that members should be accepted on merit regardless of where they live.
Runners up in the Corson Shield
The fence was extended along the full width behind the pavilion giving us grassed over space next to the pavilion. And the seed was sown re putting a new pavilion on the space
Runners up in the Corson Shield again.
Part Nine 2000 – 2014
2000 Membership had risen to 91.
The first edition of the Bowling News was produced in April this year by Fran Dent (because she had just bought a computer!) and it continues to be published quarterly.
2001 88 members
With membership so healthy it was becoming very crowded in the pavilion which housed the kitchen and the men’s changing room while the ladies managed to squeeze into what is now the equipment room. There was a lot of talk about a proposed new pavilion, and an EGM was called to put the idea before the members.
Winners of Sibson Cup
Winners Rushcliffe Trophy (Ladies)
Winners of Glover Trophy
2002 87 members
Grant applications were made to Rushcliffe B.C.and Co-op Sports Foundation. The Pavilion Committee comprised Derek Dent, Don Sayers, Neville Sheil, Jan Slater & Fran Dent. After ascertaining that the ground belonged to the Parish Council they gave permission for the building to go ahead, but it had to be temporary ie not brick built. The Parish Council and groundsmen wer very helpful over the erection of the pavilion and helped where they could After a lot of ‘shopping around’ it was decided to buy a wooden building to be erected by the makers. There was a shortfall of £2,500 to pay for flooring paint electrics plast board etc New guttering for the new pavilion and the refurbishment of the old pavilion to turn it into two changing rooms. Five committee members loaned the club £500 until Rushcliffe paid the Grant for that amount on completion.
The builiding was erected in early March and upwards of 20 members helped in different ways to get the building ready for the new season. The main Clerks of Works wer Derek Dent and Brian Whittemore. Derek had been the main instigator and had all the dealings with the various councils. Brian was a joiner and oversaw the kitchen fittings etc. The Pavilion was duly opened by the daughter of our late sponsor RCM Dickson ( who had officiated at the opening of the old pavilion in 1966) Mrs Hughes said her father would be proud of the way the club had progressed. There is a bookk in the pavilion with a photographic record of the building of the pavilion.
Winners of the Glover Trophy
2003 79 Members
The underside of the old pavilion canopy was covered by Brian Whittemore and Derek Dent as treasurer said that materials could be paid for out of funds.
New scheme suggested that availability lists be displayed in date order, but this did not go down well and reverted to the old method of a board for each captain/league.
A notice was displayed explaining the role of reserves in games as some people cross their names off as available when chosen as subs. This not acceptable and everyone must be prepared to be reserve now and again.
We were President of the West Bridgford Association and played host to the other clubs involved in the league.
New china and teapots were purchased for use on match days when tea was provided. The china was donated to the club by Geoff and Iris Buckton in appreciation of the work done on the new pavilion.
2004 77 members (going down)
This year the Hunt Handicap Cup and the Howard Cox Sheild were played on one day this proved to be popular with several people entering who didn’t usually play in competitions.
Winners of Sibson Cup
Winners of the Corson Shield
Winners of Glover Trophy
2005 75 Members Green Rent £2500
Dispute with the Parish re the gate on Elms Park. They wanted us to make sure it was locked after games but it was impractical as the footballers leave it open. Meeting with the council to clarify the problem.
Lily Tomlinson made life member, she had donated £1000 to the club and a bench was made and dedicated to her husband Harry.
2006 71 Members
Day Trip to Oxford in July and Bowling tour to Cliftonville in September.
The cricket pavilion was refurbished and portaloos were provided for our use while the work was done. The Monday Drive was thought to be worthy of a winner and runner up prize as all the other comps were.
Men won Div three EBA 4×4 League
2007 65 Members
A new mini pairs league was organised to take place in August and September when the league fixtures were more or less finished. It was a good idea and several members joined but it proved to be difficult for everyone to complete the games. It was abandonded after two seasons.
The £25 joining fee (that had been introduced to raise funds after building the pavilion) was scrapped as it was felt it deterred new members.
First time we had an open day in an attempt to recruit new members.
Bowls Tour to Exmouth
Winners Sibson Cup
2008 60 Members
Bowls Tour to Eastbourne for the first time it poured with rain for most of the week.
Big discussions about leaving the EBA and joining the LCBC due to the high cost of playing in the EBA. an EGM was held and the motion was defeated mainly because of losing the men’s 4×4 league and the greater distances to the clubs who play in the LCBC
EBA amalgamated mens and womens and now call themselves Bowls England
We introduced rink fees for home and away games to cover the cost of being in the EBA
2009 56 members
The Parish Council had an electric fence erected round the green to deter foxes digging up the green. This proved to be an inconvenience/ annoyance to the bowlers, but we coped with it for the sake of the green.
We tried to re introduce Mondy Club Night which had fallen by the wayside. It didn’t take off as now we have so many fixtures – over 100 – that players couldn’t fit it in with all the other games.
Still rumblings in the club about leaving the EBA – sorry Bowls England
The West Bridgford Association was wound up and the funds in the a/c to be distributed between the member clubs.
2010 57 Members
We received the sum of £197 from the winding up of the WB Association.
Committee decided to display a photograph of Derek Dent in the pavilion in his memory and in appreciation of all he had done for the club.
The Men voted in favour of dropping out of the Portland Bowl as the Captain had not been able to raise a team in the previous two years. in view of the fact that the Portland Bowl was the only thing entered by the club we decided to resign from the Federation Association as it cost the club to join All the leagues we play in are administered by the Federation League.
2011 56 Members
Introduction of a “not Available” list displayed in the pavilion to save captains ringing people if he was short of players. This proved to be a useful idea.
2012 57 Members
The ‘new’ pavilion was painted by the members as it was now ten years old and in need of some attention. A big job and well tackled by the members.
The Corson Committee decided to change the format of the game from fours to triples. We finished runners up in both Corson and Sibson cups.
Change of format for President’s Day. Everyone bought their own lunch instead of the usual buffet, and tea was provided by the President.
2013 57 Members
Jan Slater painted the changing rooms.
Local butcher Stuart White sponsered the club for this year providing a prize for President’s Day.
Winners Sibson Cup
Runners up Glover trophy
Inside of the pavilion was painted, paid for by a generous member who said he was going to leave the money in his will but it would be nice to see what it had been used for so gave it now. We all hope and expect that he will be bowling for a while yet.
Part Eight 2015 – 2021
2015 – 66 Members
Better weather for the open day this year and we had 17 new members thanks to Andy Scott’s hard work and organisation skills. Seven members retired leaving 66 an increase of 11 on last year
2016 – 65 Members
Fees still pegged at £57 Teas 70p We lost seven members but gained another seven so membership stayed stable.
2017 – 63 Members
We lost seven gained five numbers down by two. Fees the same as before.
2018 – 58 members
Membership down by five this year. We lost six members. Two of them were stalwart members who sadly died. Eric Radford (who had donated the money for the decoration of the pavilion) and Jose Lloyd who was a very long standing member who had held numerous posts within the club. Both had been bowling into their nineties.
This year also saw the demise or the large pavilion roof felt. This had to be replaced at a cost of £6,000. With that in mind at the AGM in November the subs were increased to £60 and the cost of tea and biscuits went up to £1.
To help with the cost of the roof we received a donation of £1,000 from Borough Councillor Reg Adair and three members of the Parish Council donated £150 each which was very much appreciated.